Diwali is a five-day festival of lights which celebrates a number of themes, including joy, forgiveness, knowledge, the goddess of wealth, Lakshmi, and the legend of Rama and Sita. Put simply, the festival represents the triumph of good over evil.
Hindus, Sikhs and Jains both in India and across the world take part by decorating houses and public spaces with thousands of lights, candles and colourful designs. As well as the bright colours and glittering lights, there's music, dancing, delicious food and a cresting wave of community feeling.
Across the school, we celebrated Diwali in many ways.
· We made traditional styled Diva lamps
· We created our own Hindu Gods and gave them characters and values
· We wrote stories about the adventures of Rama and Sita
· We made Mendi patterns which could decorate our hands
· We designed celebration garments