Welcome to the week !
Please can we ask that all children have a waterproof coat and wellies in school everyday as the weather is changeable this week and we will be outside for breaks and lunchtimes if we can.
Attached is a collage of a 'sample' of some of the work classes have undertaken at our amazing forest school site (a private site we have with permission of the Duchy Of Cornwall (Prince Charles) on a yearly license, we have built a very positive relationship with the Duchy over the past 10 years). We are so lucky and every class gets to experience it regularly for a range of learning. We also have fourteen Level 3 Forest School leaders (most schools have one or two).
Photography, 'writing in the woods', geometry, map reading, history, science, art, maths and music were all part of the learning this week alongside nature expeditions, deer tracking (and spotting) and well being. We have updated the children's waterproofs with the support of the PTA (a cost of approximately £4000 with some 'super shopping !!').
Thank you for your support with the NSPCC 'number day.'
1. Attendance - last week the overall attendance rate was 98.3%.
Year 1, Year 4 and Year 6 had 99% + for the week.
Six out of seven year groups were 98% +
Holidays - please do not book holidays during term time, the government, not school, dictate what is allowed and no holidays (except in extreme circumstances can be authorised). Please discuss any needs (and 'exceptional' circumstances) before booking anything, we understand that costs etc increase dramatically during the summer holidays. 'Myth' - families are 'allowed' 10 days of holiday per school year.
2. The Card Shed is running free ‘Escape to the Woods’ sessions for the families of those serving in the Armed Forces or Ex-Service families living in Herefordshire. The sessions are aimed at children aged 8 – 12 years (school years 5 to 7).
Activities will include: Den building/ creating a shelter, Bush crafts, Green woodworking skills, Willow working and Outdoor cooking
The sessions will run from 10am – 3pm on the following dates at The Card Shed, Devereux Wooton, Norton Canon HR4 8QN.
June - Wednesday 2 & Friday 4
August - Wednesday 4, Thursday 5, Friday 6 & Wednesday 11, Thursday 12, Friday 13
Places are limited to only 15 children per session.
To book email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 01544 318 231 / 07552 872749
The Card Shed have asked that only parents and carers transport their children to the sessions. Transport may be available if required to enable attendance.
The sessions include a hot meal and other refreshments will be provided.
Covid-19 government safety measures will be in place.
3. Covid awareness (not 'scare mongering just ensuring awareness) - Number of cases of isolation due to in-school COVID contact almost doubled last week, according to DfE data. Nearly 47,000 pupils were off last Thursday due to potential contact in-school - an increase from 25,200 the week before. We have all managed well so far and we will be careful and cautious as we move forward.
4. Hereford Rugby Club - Summer Camp flier is attached.
5. Eco challenge - attached is a bingo challenge for families.
More information to follow later in the week. There are no further changes to any of our expectations or processes in school at the moment. Have a good start to the week.